Monday, March 16, 2009

Parenting joys

I've been thinking that I haven't posted much about parenting lately, and when I do it's usually negative. I've been having a good time with the girls lately, so I thought I would do a quick post to celebrate all that I love about my children.

They are so creative - Mapera creates fantastic stories and scenarios and can talk constantly about them for hours on end. Kaitereo has just started pretend-play, she finds it hilarious to hand out "food" and eat it saying "nyum nyum nyum"

They are so clever - Mapera remembers things and can work problems out from information we have given her now, it's amazing to see her figure something out and be so proud of herself for doing it without help. Kaitereo can now follow simple instructions - I call it the "programmable age"

They are so brave - Mapera slept out in the tent the other night, on her own til about 10pm when Daddy went out to join her. She had her baby-doll (Gary) and her torch and she was not scared at all! Kaitereo has got over her shy phase and now rushes off into new places with a true explorers joy, and she points out people and waves at them. Her favourite thing is to spot men now and shout "MA" (which is her word for man), whereas before she would shy away and cry if strange men even looked in her direction.

They love books - Both Mapera and Kaitereo will stop and look at a book if they spot one when they are playing, Mapera can spot her letter (M) and points it out everywhere, Kaitereo loves animal books and delights in shouting "cow" and "quack-quack" for any 4-legged or 2-legged animals.

So there you are, a few reasons why having children is SUCH FUN! I love my kids, I'm definitely going to have more...

No comments: