Monday, November 15, 2010

Does everyone really have one book in them?

I heard that somewhere; the idea that everyone has one book to write.  I think JK Rollings must have my share, because I love writing when I can think of something to write about, but I never seem to have enough for a book.  Not even a novelette.

I have tried writing short stories, romance novels, scary thrillers and saucy bodice-rippers and the furthest I ever got was a rough plot outline with no ending and a chapter about engineers.

I'd love to write a book, or even do a column in a magazine or something, but I don't have the training, qualifications or experience and I have no idea how to start.  When I want to write about something, I tend to just sit down and write as I think, I am not very good at structure and research.  I'd love to have a blog that people want to read, but I don't think I have enough to say to post something regularly.
 
I have started making notes when I get ideas for the blog, and I am going to make a concerted effort to post once a week, but I would love feedback from other writers and from readers as to what you would like to read about.

Would people want to read about the minutiae of my life?  I don't know, they watch Big Brother, so maybe posts about the nature of making toast and trying to prevent the baby from becoming the house vacuum cleaner would be thrilling for some.  I also wonder if another "parenting from the front line" blog is just not going to live up to the likes of Whoopee or The 2am Parent's Club
What do people want to hear?  My exploits as a mental teenager?  My life in office work? My teensy bit of travelling?  Maybe all of it, maybe none.

Morning tea time now, time to feed the hordes.

No comments: