Monday, July 6, 2009

Developmental milestones

Kaitereo has taken a big step towards toilet training. She has started to tell me when she needs her nappy changed.

Unfortunately, it usually occurs between 1 and 4am.

Now I am glad that she is getting to the stage where we can get the potty and the stickers out, but waking up every night for a nappy change is going to wear me out pretty quickly. I'm thinking about doing the intensive toilet training thing some of my friends have tried - train your 22 month old in a weekend - but it involves some serious work on my part and I don't know if I have the energy or patience to do it.

The other option is to do what we did with Mapera, and get her used to the idea of the potty first, then work up to leaving the nappies off during the day. Mapera is still nowhere near being dry overnight, so I don't really know how to approach that with Kaitereo. I am pretty sure K will go dry overnight first, judging by the fact that she's waking up asking for a nappy change now.

Oh I hate potty training, why can't it be something they do all at once like walking?

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Whoa! Did your friends have success with the 22 hour thing???

Unknown said...

22 months, not 22 hours!! Yes, all my mates who stuck with it, had great success with potty-training their 22 month old boys, and boys are supposed to be more difficult than girls to train.
However, my girl is very much one who knows her own mind and if she wants to use the potty she will, but if she doesn't no amount of entreating, threats or rewards will make her!